Previous headlines on my local news channel point to an issue of car-theft - where as a taxi was first stolen then used for mugging other taxi customers.
For me (who still has no cars) news of car-napping / theft are a nod and a shrug, but its not an issue only for motorists. I consider myself, security paranoid as cases where I lock the taxi door automatically when I get inside. I dont want anyone knocking on the door that might grab me or my things and run away - as this was practically common previously on the streets of Manila.
So, with the issues with car-theft there should be devices on how to prevent it. Not only the government or other organizations should be involved here, individuals / motorists should know how to protect themselves. There are simple ideas to protect yourself:
- DONT open the door / window to anyone - maybe just a few inches on the window to talk with them.
- REMEMBER to always lock the doors - child locks on cars are a better option in my opinion.
- DONT park on shady / dark places where you know that it could be a nest of nefarious elements
But in the end, there are also some alternatives like expensive gadgets.
- Steering wheel column
- Gearshift locks
- Break pedal locks
- Vehicle tracking - GPS device
- Kill Switch - "...anti-theft device can be activated to shut down part of the engine's electrical system..."
But in the end, its up to you on how you want to guard your safety and the safety of your passengers.